20090309

4 am Philosophy


As much as I like to think of myself as someone who lives in the moment, I still have moments of having to remind myself to live in the present. You know, stopping to smell the roses (quite literally) and all that jazz. I love to take photographs spontaneously, of the most random things that capture a certain moment. Not because I want to show it off or affirm my character, but as something a bit like a frozen moment. At the same time, it's hard not to get too carried away with capturing these moments where you end up just thinking about creating memories, rather than being the moment. I find this especially with facebook and the way we spend hours of our days thinking of status updates and tagging ourselves in photos etc. We all do it. I watched a documentary today about the Mongol empire and thought to myself, "These people had no way of communicating with each other in the way we do now, where we can simply send a text message to someone anywhere in the world. Yet they planned wars and co ordinated armies. These people had messengers, who would travel on horseback for days, even weeks from Persia all the way across to China, just to deliver one message. We spend so much time chatting to people on msn, over the phone, over text etc.. Is technology ruining the Art of communication? As useful as technology is, I do believe that we are taking it too far. I'm not one for small talk and would rather be living than talking about it.

We are nothing but now. Yesterday was once tomorrow, and tomorrow will be yesterday. There is no distance as far away from the Earth as yesterday... so why not pretend that today is yesterday? Stop thinking about becoming and just BE. Feel. Breathe.

Every sunset and sunrise I experience is a fresh feeling of inner peace and truth. It never gets old. "Good Morning" How that makes me smile :-) How lucky we are to be alive. I truly understood that statement in my darkest moments of melancholy. We are what we feel, and take many things for granted. I've had the flu over the last week and haven't been able to breathe through my nose throughout that whole time. It was only this morning that my nose finally cleared (thanks to generous coatings of Tiger Balm) and that feeling of breathing in through my nose was so refreshing and wonderful. Our bodies are beautiful instruments and I thank The Force/God/whatever it/he/she is called for every single part of its functioning and for every breath.

"With the past, I have nothing to do, nor with the future... I live now."
Ralph Waldo Emerson"